Testfahrt LC200

2007 - 2020
Antworten
lehencountry

Testfahrt LC200

Beitrag von lehencountry »

Hallo
hab das hier im middle-east-forum aufgeschnappt.

During the GNFD I had the opportunity to drive the new LC200 courtesy of Al Futaim Motors. It’s the 4.7 V8 with leathers and all. Being the VX-R model it has everything except for diff locks. It also uses a keyless system. The 4.7l V8 produces 271 HP and 41 kg-m torque. It came with the 5 speed auto box with tiptronic option.

The first impression of the car, I must say is not too exciting. I do not like the low slung plastic bumpers but then all 4WD vehicles these days have similar design. There were several other LC200s around during the GNFD that had their front and rear bumpers removed. I am not sure if there are any advantages in removing the bumpers as there is a low cross beam underneath. It will not improve the approach angle. This is a not there in the LC100. It’ll be interesting to see how this fare in the desert.

Although it does not look it, size wise it’s longer and wider (6cm and 3cm resp) than the LC100. The interior is typical of the Land Cruiser. It’s spacious and comfortable. Incidentally, I read that this model is design by the same team who did the Tundra and Sequioa in the US. I can see ‘American’ in the huge oversized interior door handles and the truck size door mirrors. Everything inside is electronic and it comes with a Nav screen that doubles as a reverse camera.

Driving the car is another experience for me. Although I have both the 80 and 100 series, this feels like another class. The engine is absolutely silent and effortless. In fact I felt very cocooned and insulated for the outside. I could hardly feel the terrain or the bumps on the tracks. If there is anything to criticize, the suspension is perhaps a tad too soft. Again I must guess this is another American influence. Like to LC100, it still has independent front suspension but now uses the traditional coil springs rather than torsion bars.

Power wise the car is effortless. I drove most of the time in D and could hardly feel the gear shifts either up or down. In fact when in D, I do not even know what gear it is in during steep climbs or descents. In manual, I have slightly more control but it still does not indicate what gear it is in. The gear could still automatically shift lower than what you have selected when more torque is required. I could manually select 5 but the car would only be in 3rd, for example.

A standard feature in the LC200 now is a VSC or Vehicle Stability Control. It operates a bit like the ABS system, in fact it works in conjunction with the ABS to prevent over and understeer. When off road, it’s recommended that you turn the VSC off. There is a disable button on the dash under the steering wheel. On several occasion, with VSC left on, I could feel the VSC/ABS chattering under the hood when crossing over and descending crest. This occurs when you have one wheel momentarily in the air with no traction.

The approach and departure angles will be a concern. Options for off road bumpers I am sure will be available here but I am not sure how it will solve the low cross beam problem. There are some pictures in Australian web sites. The front bumper meets the fenders high up and at a 45 deg angle. Any after market bumper will need a filler panel to cover the gap. Like wise the rear bumper is very Prado like with high bulging corners. I doubt there will be a swing away wheel carrier option like on the current models because of this. Spare wheel under the car can be a real pain in the desert.

Overall, the car is nice to drive, Lots of power and torque. I had no problems at all driving in the desert. The ride is a tad soft but that’s expected for such a large car. The 4.7 is already an excellent engine and has more than sufficient ommph. I wonder what the 5.7 will be like if it’s brought here in future. For now, the 5.7 will only come with the Lexus.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links
Antworten

Zurück zu „Land Cruiser J20 / 200 Series“